Monday, March 19, 2012

Resumes

I'm trying to update my resume.  The last time I did this was two years ago.  


I haven't decided on leaving just yet; it's in the back burners, but I still don't feel the urgent pull to move.  This attempt at a current revision was brought about by something else: an officemate's resume, in fact.  When officemate intimated his plans to find new employment, and mentioned a few desired companies, I said that I know someone who works at XX company, and offered to refer him.


Fast forward a couple of weeks and I get to see his resume.  And managed not to cringe at the sight of it.


It's not that it lacks selling points nor did it not highlight certain key words.  It isn't also about poor formatting or the lack of uniformity in using tabs.  Neither is it about grammatical errors.  It's a mishmash of a little of everything.  I'm not saying that the resume is bad, but that it can be better. But rather than spend my energy on officemate's resume, I'd much rather improve on my own, and instruct him to do the same.


I realize now that it wouldn't be quite an easy task.  I chose the format I'm using because it appealed to my OC sensibilities:  it's clean, it's bordered, it's concise.  Unfortunately, it's also hard to edit, and my frustrations with building it two years ago are haunting me again.  But negotiating with my current format seem to have more benefit over the frustrations of rebuilding my resume from scratch, so I guess I'd have to stick with this.



3 comments:

  1. back when i worked as a consultant for recruitment, i only looked at single page resumes. concise and upfront, they are the easiest to analyze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you're blogging again! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ ^Travis: I try to put all pertinent info on the first page. Only personal and other minor info are on the second page.

    @ mistersandiman: Thanks! It feels good to blog again. Hope I can sustain it this time.

    ReplyDelete

Can't stand the craziness?


Scream!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin